Multicultural Greek Council orientation
Within the first two weeks of each semester, Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) hosts MGC orientation. During MGC orientation, MGC fraternities and sororities share information about their organization and/or individual chapter with prospective members or those who have questions about Fraternity and Sorority Life in general. This program also explains the benefits and expectations of membership in a Fraternity or Sorority.
The history of our community
The University of Iowa is proud to be home to the founding of Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc. in 1986 and to Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. in 1990. The Alpha Chapters of both of these organizations continue to thrive within the University of Iowa Fraternity & Sorority Community. In 2009, members of Sigma Lambda Beta and Sigma Lambda Gamma began work on the creation of the fourth governing council at Iowa. On February 16, 2010, the Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) was officially established.
Since then, several other organizations have joined the Multicultural Greek Council:
- The Xi Chapter of Delta Phi Lambda Sorority, Inc. – 2013
- The Gamma Gamma Chapter of Delta Lambda Phi Fraternity, Inc. – 2013
- The Alpha Upsilon Chapter of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. – 2014
- The Associate Chapter of alpha Kappa Delta Phi International Sorority, Inc. – 2017
- The University of Iowa Chapter of Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity, Inc. – 2018
- The Rho Chapter of Gamma Rho Lambda National Sorority – 2013
The Multicultural Greek Council is proud to be the newest and fastest-growing council on campus. Our council governs multicultural fraternities and sororities that represent Latinx, Asian, and LGBTQ+ communities, yet are inclusive of people of all cultural identities.